Sunday, January 9, 2011

What's for Dinner? Moroccan Lentil and Chick peas soup!

Photo from Wegmans.com

One of my biggest resolutions this year is to cancel out fast food, and cook every night for my husband. (Not that we eat fast food every night, but going out to eat, and fast food is was the majority in my house. When I do cook, I tend to go all out; my husband really enjoys my cooking. So, to 2011, I am going to let you in on what I have cooking in my house. I will take you through all the cuisines, and if you decide to take a recipe; let me know what you think!

So, here is what was on our table this evening...

Moroccan Lentil and Chick peas soup


Ingredients:




2 Tbsp Basting Oil

...1 pkg (8 oz) Mirepoix

4 cloves (2 Tbsp) Peeled Garlic, chopped

1 pkg (16 oz) Green Lentils, sorted and rinsed

1 can (28 oz) Italian Classics Kitchen Cut Roma Tomatoes with Basil

2 cartons (32 oz each) Vegetable Culinary Stock

1 tsp coriander seed or ground coriander

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp powdered cayenne pepper

1 can (15.5 oz) Garbanzo Beans, rinsed and drained

2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

Salt to taste
 
You'll Need: Handheld or regular blender


Directions:



1.Add basting oil to stockpot on MEDIUM. Add mirepoix and garlic; cook, stirring, 5-6 min, until soft but not browned. Stir in lentils, tomatoes, stock, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.



2.Cook, covered, 20-25 min.



3.Puree briefly (about 15 seconds) with handheld blender, just to thicken (don't puree all the lentils).



4.Stir in garbanzo beans and cilantro. Season to taste with salt. Simmer about 5 min on MEDIUM until heated through.

Chef Tip(s):

To save time, use Produce Department cooked lentils.