Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hello World; How've you been?

{A story and a song about second chances.}
The Story:

The Mr. came home from Afghanistan two December's ago. We've had our ups and our downs, and sometimes we drive each other crazy. Sometimes he says he's depressed. Although, I know that he is suffering from post-traumatic disorder (PTSD) from the two previous combat deployments. We lost 8 guys from the first, and 20 from the most recent. (That doesn't even include the injured.) To say he came unscathed, is a lie. My husband had a near death experience in Afghanistan, that shook my world. You can read,  here.

Last night, I was searching for bonding glue to make these mini ginger bread houses for Miss K's pre-school to decorate, down in the basement, and I was searching through my scrapbooking box, when I came across a unfamiliar red notebook. Back in the Marine Corps, I used notebooks to write my thoughts- to vent- about my situations in MRP at Geiger. Channeling through memory lane, I opened the notebook, and realized that it was my husband's-- addressed to me. He had never given me the notebook before, and well, I hid downstairs for awhile, and read it. It was his Afghanistan journal. Tears welled up in my eyes as I read his hopes, his fears, and his un-dying love for me and Miss K. (Sometimes, life gets in the way, and you forget not to take each other for granted.) After I dried up the tears, I headed back upstairs, and showed him the notebook. He looked at me, and smiled. He read the journal, and said he had forgotten about it. He said he was trying to forget his experiences, and he wrote it, in hopes that someday, some one else would read it. Today, is the day. {If you have trouble reading the letters, click on them, and they will get bigger in a different window.}


"Traffic cars, cell phone calls

Top video screams at me

Through my tender window I see

A little girl, rust red minivan

She's got chocolate on her face

Got little hands, And she waves at me

Ya, She smiles at me



               



Hello World

How've you been

Good to see you, my old friend

Sometimes I feel, cold as steel

Broken like I'm never gonna heal

I see a light, little hole

In the little world



Hello world

Every day I drive by

A little white church

It's got these little white crosses

Like angels in the yard

Maybe I should stop on in

Say a prayer

Maybe talk to God

Like he is here

Oh I know he is there

Ya, I know he's there
-----------------------
Hello world

How've you been

Good to see you, my old friend

Sometimes I feel as cold as steel

And broken like I'm never going to heal

I see a light

A little grace, a little faith unfurled
-----------------------------------
Hello world

Sometimes I forget what living's for

And I hear my life through my front door

And I'll be there

Oh I'm home again

I see my wife, little boy, little girl

Hello world

Hello world
All the angels disappears

I remember why I'm here

Just surrender and believe

I fall down on my knees

Oh hello world

Hello world

Hello world"
~Lyrics from Lady Antebellum


*All images belong to Semper Fi to Apple Fi, and this blog is copy-righted. Do NOT take images; it's unlawful.*