Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Things could be changing

For the past year, I have been actively engaging into my college coursework. I have been plowing through classes non-stop since January, in hopes of someday putting my Marine Corps OCS package together. It has been a bumpy road with detours every since I took up the challenge. While I have been utilizing my GI Bill, I have also been working on my resume. I can write a college research paper better than I can type up my resume. Honestly, I get stumped about my job skills. 

Me and some fellow Marines in Hawaii 2005 {I am wearing the PI shirt}


The Story:

I was an 0151 (Administrative Clerk) when I was on active duty, and well, I didn't go to the typical IPAC or S1 shop. My orders sent me to the Central Identification Laboratory on an Air Force base. Yes, you saw that correctly, I was a Marine stationed on an Air Force base. I literally had to go back to my Gunnery Sergeant, and asked him if my orders were correct, and what kind of command was this? Not that I was complaining, I got my first pick to Hawaii; however, I deeply confused on where I was going. I didn't go alone, and I had another Marine stationed with me from our MOS {military occupational school} school. When I arrived off the plane in Hawaii from baggage claim, I didn't expect to be greeted by an Army Corporal. This Army Corporal gave me a run down about how I had gotten chosen for his shop, and where my living quarters were going to be-- on an Navy installation. Confused yet? Because I certainly was! Low and behold, I would be stationed at the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command HQ.

How did I get so luckly to snag a position there, immediately out of training? It was a culture shock to have to work with every branch of the service, Coast Guard  and not utilize what I had learned from my MOS school. It was like I went to school for nothing, and was learning on the job, how to do my job. I was exposed to some really awesome things though. I was transferred several months later to a bigger command in Hawaii, and was sent to their Public Affairs office. Here I was, thrown into another shop, where my MOS school didn't help me out at all. I picked up Lance Corporal, and was still surrounded by nine officers of different branches. I was the only Marine enlisted, and I felt alone. But, I knew that I was fortunate to be able to have my position that this higher headquarters, and it came with stress. I was there for about a year until I was medically discharged. I had a stubborn injury since M.C.T. and it wouldn't rehabilitate while on active duty.

I never went to the VA to claim my disability, and up my percentage. I guess you can call me stubborn. I miss the Marine Corps like nobody's business. I have been patiently waiting for the past four years, gradually working out, and strengthening my body to go back in. My husband would like me to get a federal position, and complete college. The federal position is hard, just as any job, because I can't just explain to them on my resume, why there is such a lag in time from active duty until now. I can't explain why I didn't complete four years in the Marine Corps. I feel like I am stuck in the middle, and the only thing I can do is plug away at my degree. Technically, my job skills in the Marine Corps, were supposed to lead me to an human resources position. {I've read that announcement, and I didn't fit.}

My previous unit received an award, and it wasn't announced until a year after I was discharged. I didn't know that it was going to be such a pain to put it into my military records. I have spoken to a prior-service recruiter, and I am starting my paperwork on coming back in as a reservist. My goal is to finish college while on reserve duty, and then submit my package to become an officer. A lot of stuff, in a short amount of time.

Anywhoo, thanks for reading! :)