Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Katy Perry - Part Of Me



Okay, okay... so I just saw the new Katy Perry music video, "Part of Me". I was a bit disappointed at first to see her portray a female Marine, and was like, "that b*tch doesn't rate to wear that uniform!" I quickly got over it as I saw the video a couple times more. Then, it dawned on me. That was me in 2004. The a-hole is not really worth noting, but heck, I actually relate to this damn song/vid.

In 2003, I met this guy aka douchebag-- and fell for him, ugh. I had plans on going into the Marine Corps, but he didn't want me to. So, I ended up living with him, and almost didn't go into the Marine Corps, because he told me that he wouldn't wait for me. He wanted me to be a suzy homemaker at the ripe age of 19. I wasn't ready to be that for any man. So, a few months dragged on, and I had a ship date for June. He decided to kick me to the curb the day after Mother's Day. I remember packing my belongings, sitting on his front porch dialing my recruiter's office. I was ready to ship immediately. However, my ship date had been taken since they hadn't heard from me a couple of months. I felt so stupid. I went back to my mom's house for a month, got a job as a waitress, and received a new ship date for August. I found out a week or so prior before my final ship date, that I was leaving to Parris Island sooner. A girl had gotten pregnant, and I was slated to leave in July. Hallulajah. I was so upset with this guy, and the Marine Corps was my official way out.  I went to bootcamp, finished, came home to find out that he had missed me. I was a fool, and decided to go on dates during boot leave, thinking that we were going to be okay. I went on to Marine Combat Training (MCT), got injured, and had to remain behind in medical rehap platoon. I had called him before Christmas to arrange a flight home for Christmas, and then he notified me two weeks before my leave, that he had found someone new. Huge slap in the face. I had given him my Marine Corps ring during boot leave, and I retrieved it back during Christmas.

Honestly, it was the best thing that did happen to me. He was completely wrong for me, and I got fortunate enough to find my husband when I was on active duty. I just can't help but crack up to how I relate to this video. 

 In fact, I remember thinking, I'll never let a man do that to me again... I had finally grown a pair, and did something empowering for myself. So, as much as everyone wants to bash the video, for Katy wearing a uniform that she didn't earn, or the glorifed scenes of being on the beaches with landing assault vehicles, in my eyes, as a real female Marine, I was like, "Holy shit.. that was me back then..."









2 Amazing thoughts:

Erin Wednesday, March 21, 2012  

Thanks for sharing! I hadn't seen it yet, and while I'm not a Marine, as a female service member - I like it. I think it's tastefully done, doesn't trivialize training, and show that female strength! Definitely a song/video for all of those who doubted whether we'd make it through!

Holly Wednesday, March 21, 2012  

Erin, the training is highly inaccurate for female Marines. We don't train with landing assault vehicles, and we don't do "Seal" like training. It was a humorous testimony of female Marines; however, it is a glorified image. :/